How to Clean a Grill Pan
One of the most frequently asked questions we hear from you is how to clean our enameled cast iron grill pans and griddles. Unlike raw or pre-seasoned traditional cast iron, these pans feature our exclusive black satin enamel. This enamel coating has a slightly textured matte black finish that may look similar to cast iron,
but is much easier to use and simple to clean.
The black satin enamel requires no pre-seasoning and has been specially designed for grilling, searing and caramelization.
The result is a beautiful, golden-brown caramelized crust on your food.
But similar to cast iron, as you use the pan it will develop a beneficial patina over time that will enhance the cooking performance, as well as reduce sticking and the need for surface oiling. It’s a natural part of the cooking process, and the result of oils and fats from foods baking onto the hot surface.
The patina also creates a more nonstick surface that becomes easier to clean the more you use the pan.
Grill Pan Cleaning Tips
Le Creuset grill pans are dishwasher-safe, but we recommend hand washing with these easy to follow steps:
- After using the pan, allow it to cool slightly. The pan can be warm but just not too hot to touch.
- Place the grill pan in your sink and rinse away any large pieces of food.
- Next fill the pan with about half an inch of water and a few drops of mild dish soap.
- Use a non-abrasive sponge or brush, like the Le Creuset Grill Pan Brush, to gently scrub the pan to remove any sticky or greasy residue.
- Pour out the dirty water and rinse again until clean.
- Dry the pan thoroughly before putting away.
"A patina will build up over time on the Le Creuset grill pan and this is a good thing!”
Sponges and Cleaners to Uses
When cleaning your grill pan, use soft natural or nylon sponges and brushes. You shouldn’t use metal cleaning pads or abrasive cleaners because they could damage the enamel surface. Our nylon Grill Pan Brush is very useful for removing stuck-on food, or for cleaning between the ribs on a grill pan.
As for cleaners, a mild dish soap works best to clean the interior of a grill pan. For the exterior colorful enamel, our Le Creuset Cast Iron Cookware Cleaner will help keep the grill pan looking great. Bar Keeper’s Friend, or a paste of baking soda and water, also comes in handy for cleaning tough stains and marks on the exterior as well.
- How to Clean a Grill Pan from Le Creuset Copyright ©2023