HOT HONEY BEEF AND BROCCOLI
RECIPE CREATED FOR CASSADOU
TIME: 35 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 2
No need to order takeout when you can have this version of beef and broccoli on the table in no time. Chili crisp and honey add the perfect amount of sweet heat, but feel free to use red chili flakes if you don’t have chili crisp (or omit altogether for a less spicy version). The key to perfectly seared beef is to cook the meat in batches in a pan with a wide surface area, like a Cassadou – if you add too many pieces to the pan at one time, the beef will steam rather than getting a caramelized, crispy crust.
- Season beef all over with black pepper. Place soy sauce, honey, chili crisp or red chili flakes, 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, cornstarch, ginger and garlic in a small mixing bowl and whisk together until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in a sauté pan or Dutch Oven set over medium-high heat until shimmering (but not smoking). Place half of the beef in a single layer in the bottom of the pan and sear for 2 minutes, then flip and sear for 2 minutes more. Remove from the pot and set aside on a plate. Add 2 more tablespoons canola oil to the pot, then repeat searing with the second half of the beef.
- Lower heat to medium. Add the final 2 tablespoons canola oil to the pan, and add the sliced onions to the skillet. Cook for 3–4 minutes, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add broccoli to the pan and stir fry until softened, about 5 minutes. Return the beef to the pan, pour in the soy sauce mixture, and increase heat to medium-high. Allow mixture to come to a boil, while continuously stirring. Cook for about 1 minute, or until the sauce is slightly thickened around the beef and broccoli.
- Remove pan from the heat, and garnish with sliced scallions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve with steamed rice.
- HOT HONEY BEEF AND BROCCOLI