Shrimp and Tofu Rice Bowls
TIME: 35 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 4 Servings
Vibrant rice bowls are a fun and healthful way to get a nutritious meal on the table that everyone can customize to their own tastes. Perfectly cooked sushi rice is the base of the meal and it’s easy to achieve perfectly fluffy grains with the colorful Le Creuset Rice Pot. This protein-packed recipe tops the rice with tofu, shrimp and egg along with a mix of crisp veggies and fresh garnishes. Serve alongside a variety of Asian-inspired sauces to please every palate.
1. Rinse the rice in a mesh colander until the water runs clear. Place the rice pot over medium-high heat and add the water along with a pinch of salt. Once the water comes to a boil, add the rinsed rice, stir and reduce the heat to low. Cover the rice with both the inner and outer lids. Simmer until the rice is al dente and all the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.
2. To prepare the tofu, preheat oven to 425°F. Drain the tofu, pat dry and cut into cubes. Place the cubed tofu on a nonstick sheet pan and drizzle with sesame oil and soy sauce. Toss together and then spread out in a single layer. Roast the tofu in the preheated oven until golden brown and crispy on the edges, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
3. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the bok choy and cook for 45 seconds to blanch. Remove from the water and plunge into an ice bath to stop cooking. Remove from the ice bath once cool and drain. Cut the bok choy into quarters and set aside.
4. Once the rice is done, bring the warm rice to the table along with the roasted tofu, shrimp, bok choy, carrots, radish, green onion, cilantro, sesame seeds, hard boiled eggs and sauces. Allow guests to assemble their own bowls and garnish with desired toppings.
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 pound extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon white soy sauce
- 1 pound baby bok choy
- 1 pound cooked shrimp
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 8 ounces purple radish, sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- Sweet Chili Sauce or Peanut Sauce
- Shrimp and Tofu Rice Bowls