Cornbread Stuffing with Apples and Pecans
RECIPE CREATED FOR PUMPKIN CASSEROLE
TIME: 1 hour
SERVING SIZE: 8
This classic stuffing weaves together the coziest flavors of the season for an unforgettable side dish. Savory vegetables, aromatic herbs, crunchy pecans and sweet-tart apples combine with crumbly cornbread to create the perfect autumnal casserole. Serve it in the Pumpkin Casserole for an easy and elegant oven to table holiday presentation.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Brush Pumpkin Casserole/Baker with 1 tablespoon butter and set aside.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter with oil until bubbling. Add onion, celery and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in apples, sage, thyme, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Continue cooking until spices are fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add cider and stir to combine. Simmer until liquid has evaporated, about 2-3 minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Whisk eggs in a separate large bowl. To temper the eggs, quickly whisk 1 cup hot broth mixture into the eggs. Add remaining broth mixture to the bowl and stir. Add cornbread and pecans to the bowl and toss gently until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer stuffing to prepared casserole and cover with lid. Bake covered in preheated oven until the stuffing is heated through, about 25-30 minutes. Remove lid and continue baking until the top is golden brown, about 10-15 minutes longer.
- Cornbread Stuffing with Apples and Pecans