Roasted Red Pepper and Crab Strata with Parsley Pesto
RECIPE CREATED FOR 4.5 QT. ROUND DUTCH OVEN
TIME: 2 hours
SERVING SIZE: 8-10
Make-ahead savory egg stratas are the best way to serve up a hearty, hot brunch or breakfast. The entire dish can be assembled the night before and then popped in the oven the next morning. This version is a luxurious take on the classic strata, with buttery crab and sweet caramelized aromatics alongside colorful peppers. Be sure not to skip the parsley pesto topping – the bright flavor brings all the rich elements together in one perfect bite.
For the strata:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat the butter in a Dutch Oven set over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the onion, celery and fennel along with a pinch of salt. Cook until the vegetables are softened and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, Old Bay and thyme and cook 1 minute longer. Remove the pan from the heat and place the onion mixture in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the bread cubes, roasted red peppers, crab meat and cheese to the onion mixture and toss to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add the egg mixture to the bowl with the bread mixture and lightly toss together. Pour the strata mixture back into the Dutch Oven. Press down lightly on the mixture to create a flat surface.
- Place the Dutch Oven in the preheated oven and cook for 1 hour. Cover with the lid and cook until the eggs are set in the center, about 20-30 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and remove the lid. Let the strata sit for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with the pesto on the side.
For the pesto:
- Meanwhile, place the parsley, walnuts and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade and pulse to combine. Add the olive oil and pulse until combined. Remove the mixture from the food processor and place in a small mixing bowl. Add the parmesan and lemon juice and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roasted Red Pepper and Crab Strata with Parsley Pesto