RECIPE CREATED FOR: Cast Iron Dutch Oven
COOK TIME: Under 2 hr.
SERVING SIZE: 8
- Make the filling. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a 5-Quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef, half the onion, half the garlic, the salt, black pepper, and red pepper (if using) to the pot and cook until the beef is browned on all sides, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the broth, oregano, thyme, and parsley. Cover and put in the oven until the meat is tender and falling apart, about 2 hours.
- Remove the meat and broth from the Dutch oven and dry out the pot. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat in the pot. Add the remaining onion and garlic and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the carrots, peas, and celery and cook, stirring, another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the meat back to the Dutch oven, stir, and add enough of the broth to cover. Season with salt to taste. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Place the flour in a cup and slowly mix the water in while stirring, to make a smooth flour-water mixture. If lumps form, strain through a sieve. Add the mixture to the Dutch oven and stir to combine. Reset the oven temperature to 350°F
- Make the mashed potato crust. Bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water (about 1 tablespoon salt in 4 quarts water) to cover. Continue to boil until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain the potatoes thoroughly. While the potatoes are still hot, stir in the butter until it melts. Add the milk, half-and-half, and black pepper and mash until smooth.
- Assemble the shepherd’s pie. Spoon the mashed potatoes over the filling in the Dutch oven. Bake on the center rack, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler and broil until the potatoes are browned, about 5 minutes. Check often to prevent burning.
- Recipe from Lodge Copyright © 2017.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- SHEPHERD’S PIE