Shrimp and Pumpkin Grits w/ Fried Pumpkin Seeds & Capers
RECIPE CREATED FOR PUMPKIN COCOTTE
TIME: Under 1 hr.
SERVING SIZE: 2-4
In our autumn version of this classic Southern dish, pumpkin puree replaces cream and cheese for grits that are extra smooth. Top it with sauteed shrimp, crispy pumpkin seeds and salty fried capers.
Recipe provided by love & olive oil
- In the Pumpkin Cocotte, bring 2 cups water to a simmer over medium heat. Whisk in grits. Lower heat to medium-low and cook, whisking frequently, until grits are almost tender, about 40 to 50 minutes. If it becomes too thick, add water 1/4 cup at a time. Stir in pumpkin puree 5 to 10 minutes before grits are done. Finish cooking and remove from heat. Stir in cream and keep warm.
- Fill a saucepan with olive oil to a half-inch depth. Heat over medium heat until shimmery.
- Add pumpkin seeds and fry 30 to 60 seconds or until seeds turn light golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Bring oil back up to temperature. Add capers and fry 1 to 2 minutes or until crispy. Transfer to the plate with the pumpkin seeds.
- Melt butter with olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Arrange shrimp in the skillet and cook 2 minutes. Flip and cook another 2 minutes or until opaque. Remove skillet from heat and stir in parsley and lemon juice.
- To serve, divide warm grits among serving bowls. Arrange 4 shrimp in each, and top with pumpkin seeds, capers and more parsley if desired.
- Recipe from Le Creuset Copyright ©2023
- Shrimp and Pumpkin Grits w/ Fried Pumpkin Seeds & Capers